Intense Pulsed Light: Pre and Post Care Guide
Are you planning to undergo IPL treatment? If you are, then you’re making the right choice!
However, before you commit to it, it is pretty essential to know some useful facts that will optimize your experience. By following certain instructions, you are sure to attain 100% safe and effective IPL treatment.
Listed below are some pre and post-care instructions that will help you get the most out of your IPL Treatment.
- For IPL hair removal procedure, do not pluck or wax for at least one month prior to your treatment. Refrain from this routine every time before your treatment sessions. The reason behind this is that plucking and waxing remove the target hair. However, it is advised to shave the area to be treated one day prior to the IPL procedure.
- Do not apply makeup or other beauty products that can irritate the skin during the process.
- For one to two weeks prior to the treatment, stop taking medications that heightens the risks of bleeding and skin sensitivity. This includes antibiotics and topical creams.
- Bleaching can irritate the skin, so it is better to stay away from it two weeks before the treatment.
- Follow a gentle skin routine. Avoid products that contain Retin-A, retinol, astringents, and other irritants that can damage the skin.
- Do not tan! Self-tanning and tanning beds make us overly exposed to UV rays.
- Always wear your sunscreen with the right amount of SPF. It is recommended to opt for sunscreens with at least SPF-30.
- Right after the treatment, it is entirely normal to experience redness and bumps on the treated area. This usually lasts for two hours up to a few days. The best thing to do is not to panic. You can apply a cold compress or aloe vera gel to it to help suit the skin. And, keep on using your sunscreen.
- For four to six weeks after your treatment, avoid sun exposure. Doing so will help reduce the chances of getting hypo or hyperpigmentation. Again, use sunscreen throughout the course of your IPL treatment.
- Avoid too many physical activities, other body treatments, saunas, and hot tubs and showers until your skin goes back to its normal state. This usually lasts for at least two to three days.
- Practice gentle cleansing. The same as your pre-treatment care, do not use products that contain harsh ingredients.
- You can wear makeup after the treatment if there are no signs of extended redness and the like. However, it is pretty essential to apply a moisturizer first before applying makeup, especially in the treated area.
- Avoid medications and skin regimens that may irritate the skin.
- If you don’t want to get scars, do not pick!
- Wear loose clothing to avoid irritation. This is because some fabrics are major skin irritants.
- If you’ve undergone IPL hair removal, do not utilize any other forms of hair removal methods. Not following this simple instruction inhibits the best results. The only thing you are advised is to shave the area to be treated whenever needed.
- Princess Carla Marasigan